Sunday, January 29, 2017

Seasons of Love

RENT was the first musical to enchant my heart. As a teenager, I listened to the Original Broadway Cast recording obsessively, eventually being able to sing the entire soundtrack cover to cover. I fell in love with the music, the story, the characters...lyrics that are deeply moving, harmonies that evoke emotion.

RENT at the Hollywood Pantages Theatre, 2017

This week, I was able to see the musical again at the Hollywood Pantages Theatre. It was beautiful. I listened with my heart this time, knowing the words before they were sung. It's amazing how some art can defy the limits of it's time. This is a story about love. Not a type of love, not a way to love...just love. And I think we could all use a little more of that right now.


"in daylights - in sunsets - in midnights - in cups of coffee
in inches - in miles - in laughter and strife
in five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
how do you measure a year in the life"
Jonathan Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment