Sunday, January 15, 2017

95 Years Young!

My Grandpa Bob turned 95 this weekend! I met him when he was a mere 81 years old. I had flown down over spring break and went to meet the new step-family. Grandpa Bob sat in the living room talking about Cessna's, Piper's, and other airplane and flight stuff. I was enthralled.

Joseph, Daddy, Robert DuFresne, 1924

I got to learn a lot about Grandpa Bob's life in just one afternoon. Over the past 14 years, the stories have rolled in (most, lovingly told by Grandma Lee, sometimes more than once!). Some of the best are the tales of camping and water skiing on Lake Trinity, years working for Pacific Telephone, and his flying days.

Grandpa Bob and Grandma Lee singing together on Christmas Eve, 2016
After Pearl Harbor, Grandpa Bob (like many others) joined the US Navy. He was given the job of Forward Observer, where he was dropped at an island (sometimes alone), dug a foxhole, and watched the ship movements offshore.

Robert DuFresne, US Navy, 1942
My favorite story comes from Grandpa Bob's childhood days. His family relocated to Los Angeles from Marion, Ohio. They drove across the United States in a Model T Ford. Without a place to do laundry in Yellowstone National Park, Grandpa Bob's britches were cleansed in the power wash known as Old Faithful.

Robert and Joseph DuFresne, 1923
A lifetime full of love, Grandpa Bob shows us how to enjoy each day. Happy 95th!

Grandpa Bob holding the youngest great grandchild, 2016

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute to a wonderful man! I've had the pleasure of knowning Bob (and Lee) since 1964. He is a delightful, caring, and giving man. Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    This is Sally, your grandma Bob's little sister.Thank you for your lovely tribute to my big brother on his 95th birthday. Bob has always been a roll model for me as has my sister-in-law Lee. They continue to inspire me! I will always be grateful for the loving & caring support they have provided me as long as I can remember....and still do! I love photos you included in your tribute. :-)

    ReplyDelete